Warm Up to Veggie-Packed Soup
by BusinessWoman magazine / 0 Comments / 25 View / February 16, 2023
When the weather outside is frightful, we could all use a cozy soup for supper. A steaming bowl of Rustic Vegetable-Beet Soup provides instant comfort.
The ease and convenience of Aunt Nellie’s pickled beets can’t be “beet” — no need to spend time peeling or pickling. This colorful mix of antioxidant-rich beets, sweet potato, and carrots joins tender zucchini to create a soup that tastes like it simmered all afternoon, but in fact, comes together in under an hour. The sweet-tangy beets add an unexpected but welcome layer of flavor to this hearty soup.
For the finishing touch, a garnish of vibrant green, lemony gremolata brightens the soup’s flavor. Garlic, lemon, and parsley may seem ordinary, but they come alive when combined. Crisp flatbread makes a perfect accompaniment to this meal-in-a-bowl.
For more recipes, or to learn more about Aunt Nellie’s beets and other products, visit www.auntnellies.com.
Rustic Vegetable-Beet Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets, well drained
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
• 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• 2 zucchini (about 5 ounces each), coarsely chopped
• 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
• 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• Salt and pepper
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Coarsely chop beets; set aside.
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; saute about 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrots, sweet potato, and garlic. Saute 3-5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
Add zucchini, broth, and seasoned salt, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chickpeas; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in parsley and dill. Stir in beets. Serve immediately topped with gremolata, if desired.
To make gremolata, combine all ingredients.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 210 calories; 6 g fat; 6 g protein; 33 g carbohydrate; 6 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 mg iron; 727 mg sodium; 0.13 mg thiamin; 6981 IU vitamin A; 8 mg vitamin C.
You must be logged in to post a comment.